Away from Mariupol and the fighting in the east, we’ve had an update from Bucha – near the capital Kyiv.
The city’s mayor says the task of collecting and exhuming the bodies of people killed during an occupation by Russian soldiers is almost complete.
Allegations of Russian war crimes provoked global outrage earlier this month. Moscow denied them.
Mayor Anatoliy Fedoruk said 412 bodies had been recovered so far – many of these in one mass grave.
Among them were the burnt bodies of civilians and those who’d been tortured and shot, he said.
The Azovstal metal works in Mariupol has come under renewed attack from Russian soldiers, according to an adviser to Ukraine’s President Zelensky.
Oleksiy Arestovych said in a video that Moscow had resumed its air strikes and efforts to storm the vast industrial complex, which represents the last holdout of Ukrainian resistance in the embattled port city.
We’ve not been able to independently verify Arestovych’s claim.
If confirmed, though, the attacks would appear to signal another shift in tactics from Russia. On Thursday, President Putin called off the military assault on Azovstal – instead ordering his troops to seal off the site.
More than 700 civilians have been killed in the northern city of Chernihiv, the head of the city council Oleksandr Lomako has told the BBC.
Three weeks after Russian troops lifted their siege of the city, new graves are still being dug in the main graveyard.
Two fields are full of graves, and a third was being dug by earthmovers when we were there.
About a quarter had flowers, lamps, fruit and other items placed beside them, suggesting that they had been visited by the relatives of the deceased. But the rest were marked with plaques on wooden sticks indicating names, as well as dates of birth and death.
We met a woman who was looking for the graves of her sister and husband, who were both killed in shelling. “They were peaceful people, they were dancers,” she said. She did not know whether their bodies had been found, or where they were buried.
The governor of Ukraine’s eastern Luhansk region says towns there are coming under constant shelling.
Serhiy Haidai said two people had been killed in Popasna – a town of about 20,000 people – where residential buildings have come under attack and street fighting has taken place.
He wrote on Telegram that the Russians were hitting power lines and substations. Some towns were without water after a Russian shell hit the power plant for a pumping station.
As we’ve been reporting, Ukraine’s Azov regiment has released a video which appears to show the conditions for civilians sheltering alongside soldiers inside the Azovstal plant. The BBC has not verified the footage.
The huge metal works has become the last bastion of Ukrainian resistance in Mariupol. You can read more about it in our graphic below.
Russia has so far failed to dislodge the defenders from Azovstal. President Putin has now called off the assault – instead ordering his troops to seal off the site.